My thoughts about the whole bookmarking concept, adapted from a Firefox add-on comment.
I noticed a lot of overlapping in the Bookmarks / Notes / Reading categories. I’ve been thinking about how I use the web and what I hope to accomplish.
Here’s what I came up with …
WHY SAVE URLs?
- To use frequently (toolbar buttons, permanent tabs, bookmarks)
- To ease finding later (bookmarks, tags)
READING / COLLECTING
- To postpone reading / exploring
- To mark my place to continue later
- To highlight for reference later
- To annotate with my thoughts
- To cache in prevention of a 404 File Not Found
- To email to someone (URL with Quote, Comment, and/or Screen Shot)
- To share in a forum or social network ( “” )
- To discuss on my blog / website ( “” )
- To monitor my post/comment for replies
- To evaluate choices (e.g. purchases or Add-Ons)
- To mark for purchase or download
I don’t know that all these things can be folded together into one UBER-ADD-ON, or even if they should. I guess what I hope is that developers like you can figure out how to have all these functionalities cooperate and integrate into one browser — That would be lovely!
Well, that’s all I wanted to say … Feel free to use this post in whatever way will bring my hopes to fruition (or ignore it as the late-night ramblings of a frustrated user).
Either way, thanks for listening!
[Comment originally posted November 28, 2009.]